In any business, it is important to keep operations up to date and encourage employees to strengthen their skills. For pediatric occupational therapy practices, there are several steps that can be taken to ensure that a practice and its OT therapists are as current and effective as possible. One step is to utilize a high-performing EMR platform that will keep your practice’s notes, scheduling, and billing under control.
Continuing education (CEU) courses are another fantastic way to keep your practice in good shape. By encouraging your pediatric OT clinicians to engage in CEU courses, you are helping to keep your practice refreshed and impactful. In fact, many states require pediatric OTs to participate in a certain number of CEU course hours every year. We’ve rounded up some of the pediatric OT CEU course options approved by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) that you can recommend to your pediatric OT practitioners.
OccupationalTherapy.com offers an extensive library of continuing education courses to which members are granted unlimited access. Membership requires a low, annual fee. Here are a few of the pediatric OT CEU courses offered by OccupationalTherapy.com
- Continued Conversations, The CE PodcastThese are short, audio format courses that each count as one AOTA-approved hour of CE credit. There are many pediatric OT CE topics covered in the podcast, including Evidence Based Interventions in Pediatric Occupational Therapy and Functional Goal Setting in Pediatrics.
- Case Studies for the Master ClinicianThese are in-depth, video format CEU courses that offer 1-3 AOTA-approved hours of CE credit. Topics include Brachial Plexus Birth Injury and The Osteoarthritic Thumb.
- Foundations for School ReadinessThis is a 5-part text and video format CEU course with a total of 5 AOTA-approved CE credit hours. Topics include Sensory Regulation and Yoga and Executive Functioning in the Classroom.
Summit Professional Education offers CEU course options with varied, in-depth topics related to pediatric occupational therapy available à la carte or for an annual membership price. Here are some of the pediatric OT CEU courses they offer:
- Essential Assessment and Treatment Strategies for Orthopedic Dysfunction
This is a 3-part series worth 6 AOTA-approved CE credit hours. The course also offers 1 and 2 hours options in lieu of the full program.
- Children with Severe Impairments
This is an online video course worth 6 AOTA-approved CE credit hours that covers effective assessment and treatment, strategies, and best practices for children with medically complex diagnoses.
- Pediatric Neurodevelopmental Disorders
This is an online video course worth 1-6 AOTA-approved CE credits, depending on how much of the program one chooses to purchase. Each CE hours is purchased separately, but they can be bundled together for a discount.
MedBridge has a wide range of online video and webinar CEU courses available for individual purchase or accessed through an annual subscription. They offer 236 courses related to pediatric OT, here are a few examples:
- Purposeful Play Solutions for Sensory Modulation in Early Intervention
This is a video course that teaches therapists to identify sensory modulation challenges in infants and toddlers by utilizing skilled clinical observation, parental input, and assessments.
- Assessment for Breathing: History, Observation, Musculoskeletal
This is a video course that will outline what is important in the patient history when assessing breathing challenges in children and present a method for assessing the musculoskeletal system for structures related to breathing.
- Pain Management for Children
This video course discusses pain types and mechanisms to identify the symptoms. Therapists will learn to identify persistent pain through similar patterns of symptoms, behaviors, and cognitive changes which must be addressed for an effective treatment.
In need of a comprehensive, easy to use EMR system for your pediatric OT practice? Request a demo of Fusion Web Clinic.
Download Free Pediatric Therapy Resources
Using some of the resources from our Home Education Platform, we’ve created a bundle of free pediatric therapy materials for you to use in your clinic. We hope you like them!